The lines are symbols that are created differently depending on the road marking lines that are needed. The road marking lines are done after the road has been paved. Depending what kind of road marking lines are needed on the newly paved road, will depend on if it is done right away (while the asphalt is still on the hotter side) or if gets done with the asphalt has cooled down for the road marking lines will be safe to place.
Road Marking Paint:
Sometimes the paint is made with retro effective glass beads. This type of paint is used to do the following road marking lines:
- Disabled parking
- Load zones
- Time restricted parking
- Traffic lanes
The paint color is by adding different dyes to the white color paint.
How is the paint applied?
- The most common way is by using trucks that are called “The Striper.” “The “Striper” contains hundreds of gallons of the paint that is used. It is stored on the bed in huge drums. A controller that sits on the bed of the truck either automatically or manually controls it. For the paint, is only placed where it needs to be. If the paint is not placed correctly, then the driver will become confused when they are driving on the road.
- The paint goes through different hoses that are under air pressure. This is also when the glass beads are applied. The paint dries quickly after it is applied.
Symbols painted on the road:
The symbols are applied a little bit differently than the lines. They are applied to the pavement by stencils. The workers will place the stencil on the pavement and with paint roller, they paint over the stencil to create the new road marking symbol.
They are most commonly referred to either as cold plastic or tape, It is a heavy grade product that has reflective beads mixed into the plastic. The most common uses are:
- Bike lanes
- Bus lanes
- HOV lanes
- Marking crosswalks
- Pedestrian crossing
- Stop bars
- Taxi lanes
- Traffic guidelines
- Train crossing
- Turn lanes
Ways of applying the plastic material:
- Inlay; this kind of plastic is part of the asphalt. Workers lay it when the asphalt is still on the hot side for the workers to infuse the plastic into the asphalt with rollers to make sure that they are infused together.
- Overlay: The plastic is laid over the asphalt. It will look similar to rubber. The reason for the way it looks. Is since it is made out of industrial grade rubber cement.
- Preformed Thermoplastic: This type of material is applied by using a propane-heated torch. They are usually used because of cost effectiveness and durability.
The most common places to find preformed thermoplastic is:
- Accessibility symbols
- Bike lane symbols
- Stop lines